October 24, 2012
October 20, 2012
October 19, 2012
We use our citizens actively, we use our local companies and we use the techno-logical development that exists in the field. Torben Juul, Technical Director Thisted Municipality
During the Soviet era, Dedoplistskaro in south east Georgia was the countrys main production area for wheat and sunflower seeds. That came to an end in 1991 when Georgia became independent and Russia cut off its energy supply. To survive the cold winters, the people resorted to cutting down trees for firewood, stripping the countryside of the windbreaks that protected the crops and soil from the harsh desert winds and provided a natural habitat for many species of animals and plants.
Almost a third of the Netherlands lies below sea level, and over the centuries the country has developed a highly efficient flood-defence system. The tragic floods of 1953, caused by a storm surge and exceptionally spring tides, led to a range of modern-day engineering so-lutions as well as a heightened awareness in Dutch society of the dangers of sea level rise. But when, in the mid 1990s, unusually heavy rain in Belgium and Germany caused the Rhine and the Meuse to breach their banks and hundreds of thousands of people had to be evacuated, it was clear that long-term action would have to be taken to protect against flooding from river water as well. The government has now launched a wide ranging pro-gramme of adaptation schemes to protect the coasts from sea-level and to create Room for the River, by establishing unobstructed spaces into which the major rivers can safely over-flow.
Silent except for the humming of bees and the distant hammering of woodpeckers, Białowieża Forest is a fairy-tale landscape of tall trees, peat bogs and meadows home to innumerable species of birds, invertebrates, lichens, fungi and other flora and fauna includ-ing grey wolves, lynx, elk and a large herd of rare European bison.
Ten years ago, a group of people in Ireland came together to try to reduce their overall carbon footprint by building an ecological community. They looked at how they could incor-porate sustainability into every aspect of their lives how they could build and power their houses, how they could earn their living, how they could travel and grow their food.
Producing sustainably works and it should be replicable all over the world. Antonio Lo Franco, Fattoria La Vialla. The family run Fattoria La Vialla in Tuscany is a shining example of truly sustainable farming. Every element of the production chain, from preparing the soil through to packaging the produce, has been planned with the environment in mind.
The Swedish forestry model is built on regenerating forests, so when the old forest is taken away a new forest is established. It is when the forest is young and middle aged that it grows most rapidly, hence absorbing more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. By monitoring and using modern technology, forest experts indentify trees that should be harvested and trees that should be left behind.
An Environmental Atlas story about Europe's first Cross-border Biosphere, which combines the two large strips of forests, the Pfälzerwald and Les Vosges du Nord, into a beautiful and vibrant bioreserve. In certain zones of the bioreserve small scale farmers are making a business out of producing high quality organic products.
October 12, 2012
October 11, 2012
October 6, 2012
Give carbon pollution the finger. Push button to sign the petition in support of the EPA Carbon Pollution Standard. http://ClimateReality.com/PushButton
- ► 2013 (50)
- Earth from Space: Iceland / ESA
- Aurora over Concordia / ESA
- Earth Hour 2013 / WWF
- SUSTAINABLE FINANCING FOR MARINE PROTECTED AREAS /...
- Camila - De Mí (Music Video)
- Global Warming Changes Jet Stream & Global Weather...
- 10 Worst Polluting Countries / All Time 10s
- California Desert / Pew & This American Land
- Micronesia Speaks Up to Save Sharks / PEW
- Earth from Space: Black Sea / ESA
- EPA 20th Anniversary Environmental Justice Video S...
- The Animals Save the Planet / AnimalPlanetTV
- Yosemite Nature Notes. Night Skies / Yosemite Nati...
- The Blue Economy / OECD
- Water Boy (We Will Rock You) / Evian
- The Cycle of Insanity: The Real Story of Water / S...
- India Water Crisis - Environmental Action Project ...
- The Coming Global Water Crisis / VisionVictory
- Water: Balancing demand / OECD
- Demand for rhino horn in Asia fuels African poachi...
- Nature Works in Illinois / The Nature Conservancy
- Ruta De Los Baktunes Guatemala / Ivan Castro
- 10 Abandoned Places Explained / All Time 10s
- Tsunami - Caught On Camera / noeuro
- Earth 100 Million Years From Now / SpaceRip
- Study at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sc...
- The importance of bees / tve
- Earth from Space: Chernozem cropland / ESA
- Cycle For Water / tve
- Countdown to clean water! / WaterAid
- Nature Inspires Art: Wisconsin in Words and Pictur...
- The Swing / Connect4Climate
- Maldives Islands / Devin Graham
- Green Tips by European Environment Agency / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.9 / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.8 / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.7 / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.6 / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.5 / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.4 / EEA
- Environmental atlas of Europe, p.3 / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.2 / EEA
- Environmental Atlas of Europe, p.1 / EEA
- What wood you choose? / WWF
- European Transport, Research and Innovation / Emak...
- Matt Damon's Promise to Haiti / Charity: water
- Development by Design / @nature_org
- The Mother Tree / tve.org
- Vancouver Island - Inception / Devin Graham
- Fields of Africa / Devin Graham
- EarthShare Impacts for CFC / EarthShare
- Mapping the Motor City with Google Maps / Google
- Pierre Yves Cousteau, IUCN Goodwill Ambassador / I...
- Stop the Crisis, Share our Stories! / IUCN
- Forest Heroes Award 2011 / UN
- The criminal rhino horn trade between South Africa...
- Wildlife Crime and the Elephants of Cameroon / WWF...
- FSC certified community forest enterprise in the s...
- Be Part Of The Solution / FSC
- Help us save polar bears and other species / WWF
- Help us save tigers and other species / WWF
- Change the way you think about everything / WWF
- Change the way you think about your laptop / WWF
- Making an Ad with Just One Sheet of Paper / WWF
- Text for Tigers / WWF
- Video Oficial El Chalten / Ivan Castro
- MARINA ARMADA DE MEXICO "GRACIAS" / Pedro Torres
- Big Bang 2012 / The Ellen MacArthur Foundation
- EU Sustainable Energy - Emakina/Motion
- Water Works / WaterAid
- CORAL REEFS - POLYPS IN PERIL / WRI
- TRADICIONES "FANDANGO GUERRERENSE" en GUERRERO ® T...
- Silent Scream / PETA
- Water Facts / Hound Studio
- Capuchin Monkeys - Wild Caribbean / BBC Earth
- TRADICIONES "¡Feliz Cumpleaños! VIRGEN DE GUADALUP...
- Nature + climate / IUCN
- Nature + life / IUCN
- EARTH University / EarthShare
- TRADICIONES "PARACHICOS" en CHIAPA DE CORZO, CHIAP...
- Water Changes Everything / charity: water
- Securing the web of life / IUCN
- Because the world needs to know / 350.org
- TRADICIONES "LA GRAN FIESTA DEL ATLIXCÁYOTL" en Pu...
- TRADICIONES "DIA DE MUERTOS" en Michoacan ® TELEVI...
- Simple Harmony / Ecomagination
- Simple Harmony: Wind Energy / Ecomagination
- How record sea ice melt is changing life for Green...
- TRADICIONES "CRISTO NEGRO" en Campeche ® TELEVISA
- Become a Member of World Wildlife Fund / WWF
- World Water Day 2012 - The World Is Thirsty Becaus...
- Water: Balancing demand / OECD
- Greening: Let's act together / @OECD
- TRADICIONES "TRAVESIA SAGRADA MAYA" en Quintana Ro...
- The Blue Economy / OECD
- Job crisis continues / OECD
- Progress / RT
- Growing Green Economies / OECD
- TRADICIONES "LA GUELAGUETZA" en Oaxaca ® TELEVISA
- Saving mother's and children's lives / WHO
- ▼ October (120)